Monday, April 28, 2008

Artwork

I am often asked what kinds of stand-alone art I make and how it relates to the work that I do in the journal. Probably the number one question that I am asked is if I try to replicate my journal pages in larger works. The answer is no, I do not try to replicate my pages, but the journal definitely influences and informs my larger work. So I've decided to post some of my art that is not journal pages.
I'm not certain of the exact dimensions of this piece, but it's about 5.5 in. x 7 in., and is mixed media on watercolor paper mounted on wood. The portraits were done with as solvent transfers, and that's Steve of Go Flying Turtle blog fame in the photobooth strip.

This piece is 12in. x 12in. mixed media on canvas and is probably on of the most recently finished pieces. I really like the simplicity of this piece.

And finally, this is an 18in.x24in. mixed media piece on masonite panel, and those are my hands painted in the piece. I try to leave a bit of ambiguity in my art to allow the viewer to create a story, narrative, or message for him or herself, and often I'm not quite certain what the pieces are really about.

3 comments:

Kris Loya said...

finally made my way back over here after a long long time.
i saw a link on youtube i thought u might like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8Hd2QiIls
ignore the tibetan singing bowl part. lol but its fun. ta ta!

steve said...

Hey Eric, great post again! The bottom piece is my favorite--it's so rich in layers and color. I don't think I recall seeing it until now. Now you just have to get yourself a show set up--you have plenty of top notch stuff to choose from.

Btw, who is that "steve" goof in the photobooth shot? =P

Anonymous said...

very cool mixed media pieces, love the warm colors mixed in with the black and green!