Monday, June 11, 2007

Construct, Deconstruct, Reconstruct

Original Drawing
This is a fun technique. I created a blind contour drawing of myself (above) while looking in the mirror using pencil on bristol board. I then traced the drawing with Sharpie and embellished some of the lines. It's a rather interesting image, but I wanted to have a bit more fun. So I scanned it into the computer and printed out a copy. Then I cut it up into random, straight-edged pieces. I then assembled the pieces into a new configuration in my journal trying to line up random lines. Needless to say, I was not trying to put my portrait back together. I then used a black pen to connect lines from different pieces in order to create a new drawing(below). I'll add more media later - probably watercolor pencil, collage, and such.

Reconstructed Drawing

2 comments:

steve said...

Wow, I love both Eric! I'm seriously inspired to try this now. I think they look fantastic both black and white but I'm sure seeing them with color and more media will shed a whole new light on the image.

Anonymous said...

I'm here because I saw your blog on Steve's blog. I am thinking of trying that as well you guys! That's tooo kewl! What if we made sketches,cut them up and pasted them in different ways like this once a month. What do you guys think?
*HUGS*