Monday, October 17, 2016

Saturday Fun - Line and Wine


This past Saturday was my first Line and Wine workshop in my home studio (also known as the garage). I think this time of year is a busy time for lots of people, so it was a very small and intimate class of one. My friend Marcia stopped by, and we spent a couple of hours painting.


I led Marcia on a little exploration of drawing intuitive lines before tackling the 16x20 inch canvas, and then we painted. It was great getting a chance to know Marcia better, and to spend time teaching painting skills. Though I might not be a public school teacher, I am still a teacher, and I am looking forward to my upcoming Line and Wine classes.


Though this intuitive process usually leads to rather abstract or non-objective results, it doesn't have to, and the painter is free to turn the lines into something recognizable. Neither Marcia's paint nor mine went in a representational direction, but I love the fact that our paintings are completely different. I just can't teach someone to make exactly what I'm making.


I want to thank Marcia for coming out to my inaugural class. It was a lot of fun. I'm hoping to present this class in the future at some of the local wineries.

No comments: