Monday, May 9, 2011

Paper Relief

I've been slowly working on new art to get ready for June's Studio Tour. I want to have a variety of pieces for visitors to peruse and hopefully buy, but it has been slow working. Things are extremely busy, but I have found some time here and there to make some smaller pieces which I will be sharing soon.

One piece that I do want to share is an 11"x14" piece (pictured above in process) that I worked on during my Spring Break a couple of weeks ago. Ever since making my first Excavation painting (pictured below) that used paper relief as a structure on which to paint, I've been fascinated by the process, but I haven't had much time to make many of them. With the time over break, I finished the relief part using different materials than I've used before. I used Strathmore Imperial 500 hot press watercolor paper and Golden Matte Soft Gel Medium to create the relief. Both the paper and medium resulted in a smoother surface that I am hoping will work better when I begin applying the acrylic paint. The next step is to lay in the basic colors with glazes of paint. I'll post updates as the piece progresses.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Love it! You are too talented!

Erin Keane said...

The finished product, of course, is AMAZING, but even the beginning stage would make a cool collograph or texture rubbing in your journal!

Eric said...

Erin, I'm getting ready to do a printmaking unit with my students, and I'm going to take your idea about using it as a collograph - not the one pictured, but a small 4x6 one that's been sitting around the studio for a while.

sketchbob said...

These are nice pieces. I'm not sure from your post whether the top image (just the paper) is a finished piece or just the dimensional buildout for a color painting. I'm hoping it's the former! I like the active surface made by the layered shapes played off against the subtlety of the all-white palette. It's like some sort of Futurist-Malevich mash up. I also like the dimensional character of the color image. Nicely done.

-Bob (sketchbob.com)